Tuesday 25 March 2014

Birmingham International Fashion Week (...End)



On the 28th February 2014 my friend Lucy and I boarded a National Express Coach at Chorlton Street bus station and departed for a three hour journey to Birmingham. The coach was stuffy and lethargic but we managed to get to our destination unscathed.


We then set off to find the 5 star hotel (aka Travelodge on Newhall Street) which would act as our accommodation for the night. Admittedly, we are far from the most skilled navigators, and it took is a whopping fifty minutes to travel what should have been a ten minute walk. Fortunately, we encountered a lovely brummie near 'The Mailbox' who pointed us in the right direction. All in all, we got there eventually and checked in.

The whole reason we travelled down to the city was to cover it's International Fashion Week as radio presenters and bloggers. Upon arrival at the venue, we were given free champagne and shown inside, where a violinist was playing in the corner. The room the shows were in was traditionally beautiful with big chandeliers and red carpeted floors. 

The first thing we did was a skin colour test which featured some lovely ladies placing different fabrics up to my face and frowning, deeming me a person who suits bold, warmer colours. They handed me a card which had various famous faces on which my same skin type.

Then I got my hair styled by some lovely representatives from the Francesco Group hair salons. They gave me a up-do with some twists and a back-combed section. The finished result looked really nice and it was really exciting to have my hair done by them as they were the stylists behind all the catwalk models' hairstyles.

The show itself was sold out and incredible. Every seat was taken and people were crowding the space they could inhabit. Lucy and I were forced to stand towards the back of the hall and watch as models worked the runway. Press representing different firms surrounded us and it was amazing to be part of such a popular event. 

Lucy ran off to get her make-up done by Make Up London Academy, the company who had done the catwalk model's make-up just hours before. They gave her a smoky eyed effect which she was very impressed with.

The next day we turned up earlier to the event, from experience, knowing that the seats were first come first serve,

On that day I got a chance to talk to a representative from Hybrid make-up, who informed me (whilst painting my nails a shiny pastel blue), that the brand was a fairly new one, forming in September last year. They have a range of foundation aimed to match your skin tone, especially if you find it tricky to find a perfect match as your skin is slightly darker than some of the foundations out there. They offered me some free samples which I am going to try out in the next few weeks and am going to post about my opinion on their range so keep your eyes pealed for that!

Lucy and I made sure we claimed seats near the runway and got to see the Textures collection, along with Nina Nausdal's collection. We also had a chance to interview Nina who informed us that her collection is 'inspired by her travels' and that she had previously been at London Fashion Week to show off her pieces. She divulged that her favourite piece from her collection was the feathered jacket it as it 'stands out and is a strong piece'. I was very impressed by her collection, which had a theme of feathers and animal print, but in a more subtle fashion than I've previously seen in fashion.

Overall the weekend was a fun and successful one and we were exhausted on the way home, so much so that we fell asleep on the coach. 

Keep a look out for my Hybrid make-up and skincare product review and I hope you found my endeavourers a little interesting!

Birmingham International Fashion Week: [x]

Watch My BIFW VLOG!: [x]


No comments:

Post a Comment