Sunday 13 April 2014

Make-Up and Skin Care: Hybrd Cosmetics



Hybrd cosmetics kindly sent me some free samples which I decided to focus a post on. Hope you enjoy!

(I have linked anything you might want to find/buy, make sure you use the links!)


As some of you might (or might not) remember, I travelled to Birmingham for its International Fashion Week with my friend Lucy for our radio show on Salford City Radio. We got to see some amazing clothes on the runway from top designers like Nina Nausdal.

Whilst there, I got chatting with a representative from Hybrd cosmetics who told me all about their cosmetic's range, which includes everything from skincare to make-up to nail polish. 

She put me in contact with her marketing team and they sent me some free samples in the post of their make-up, skincare and haircare range. I've yet to try out their haircare products (especially as a mishap occurred in transition and one of the bottles leaked out of it's bottle and left me with an empty container...) but today I decided to get down and do this post before it never happens.

In this post, I'm going to be reviewing the items I received in the post.

First, I prepped my skin. I exfoiliated with their 'Face Polish' rice scrub, which I found easy to apply, easy to use and easy to remove. This product impressed me and left my face smooth and fresh.

Then I opened another pot which contained a gel-like substance. I didn't know what it was or how to use it, so I left it. I now know, from research, that the product is 'cleansing gel'.

The last pot was definitely moisturiser so I applied it to my face. I can't say it was any different to any other moisturiser I've ever used but I did like how it left my face feeling and it was the right consistency for me.

The collection of cosmetics
I was sent
Highlighter in 'Jewel'


Lipstick in 'Bubble Gum'
Foundation in 'Marinella'
Blusher in 'Carmine'













So I made sure I didn't put any make-up on this morning so that I could start the process with a fresh look and let you all see the complete difference from no make-up to Hybrd's make-up.
To the left you'll find photo evidence of this.

I threw on some of my usual concealer, which I picked up for £1.99 (bargain!) from Duty Free, a shop on the first floor of the Arndale in Manchester (next to the entrance to Boots and near Games Workshop)

At first, I was quite excited to try the make-up as I knew it had been used in various catwalk shows and I believed it to be really high-end branding. 

I was a little disappointed as I applied if I'm honest. I started with the foundation and, since the lady I e-mailed to get the free samples did not ask if I needed a specific shade, and because the foundation is aimed at those who are mixed race, I already guessed that the colour was too dark for my skin. I gave it a shot anyway and dipped my powder brush into the little pot. I was happy with how much the brush picked up straight away and assumed that the powder, if that easy to pick up, would be just as easly spread across my skin. I was wrong. The product appeared blotchy and uneven on my skin and made me look like I'd never used foundation before and was experimenting for the first time as a young teenager.
I couldn't get the foundation to give an even finish over my skin so I blended in some of my usual foundation (GOSH Golden Honey) which aided the look a little.

I then moved to the blusher, switched brushes and dipped in. Again, the brush collected a lot of the product which I was happy with. I tapped off the excess and started on my cheeks. I'd never go for such a dark colour of blusher if I was purchasing, and this experience has not convinced me otherwise. The colour did not suit me at all and I was, again, highly disappointed with the applied product; it was extremely hard to blend and looked like two smears of red war paint across my cheeks. 

I left the blusher on as I thought a little highlighter and some more foundation could smooth out the harsh lines that were left. I picked up the highlighter and reiterated the process. The highlighter was a dream after the other two products; it matched my skin tone and was easily spread across my cheekbones and t-section. I was impressed.

Then I picked up the lipstick (which may be a lipgloss, apologies if it is the latter) and applied it to my lips. The colour was delightful and I genuinely love it. 

With a swipe of eyeliner and a touch of Natural Collection mascara, I was done. I took a look in the mirror and decided the blusher on my cheeks was too appalling for me to upload onto any sort of public website and so I took off as much as I could (again, a challenge) and smoothed over with some of my own foundation. 

In the photo to the right you can see the finished look.

Overall I was disappointed with the range of make-up as I value foundation as a main part of my make-up collection (although I only use it on occasions and not daily) and the foundation I received (and blusher) was not satisfactory in terms of coverage and feel. I would recommend the highlighter and lipsticks though, so if you want, click the link at the bottom of this post to check out the range of make-up on Hybrd's website.

In terms of skincare, I liked the products I received, especially the 'face scrub' and would definitely recommend them to you all. Make sure you check them out too!

Overall, if we're talking a number out of five here, Hybrd cosmetics and make-up get 3/5.

Hybrd Website: [x]

Before/After:




No comments:

Post a Comment