Saturday 12 July 2014

College Leavers Ball @ The Hilton, Manchester | 27.06.2014


Prom is always an exciting time in our lives, as it symbolising the end of one thing and the beginning of another. 


My college prom took place in The Hilton, an extremely fancy hotel in Manchester. Fortunately, the posh-ness didn't correlate with the price, and it only cost me £25 to attend.

My highschool prom, like many others, was one which celebrated the parting between you and all the people and teachers you hate - by putting everyone in the same room and forcing them to dance. Sounds a bit like the end of a Shakespearian comedy, no? (Thinking mainly of Much Ado About Nothing)

Anyhow, a college prom is a lot more 'grown-up'. Mainly because there's legal alcohol involved
(although the leavers ball took place a week before my birthday, which is a little bit mean) and because you're eating classy food in one of the most expensive hotels in Manchester.


Pre-prom with my friend Eleanor who went to
a different college.
I took an hour getting ready for prom and am going to do a separate post on my make-up and hair (find that [here]), but the picture to your right is the final result. The photo is of me and my best friend Eleanor who went to a different college to me. Sorry you can't really see my dress and face, but it's the best from the pre-prom 'shoot' (never ask your dad to take pictures!)

My dress was ordered from China (at a low price) for my highschool prom and my tights and shoes are from primark (tights were around £2 and shoes were £12)

Prom started at 7:30 and I arrived a few minutes early, only to realise I'd forgotten my invitation; silly me. After flurrying around and panicking a little, I found a teacher and she got me into the event, phew. We were greeted with a couple dozen waiters and waitresses holding trays full of champagne and orange juice. I opted for the orange juice, as champagne isn't my thing (see my [Birmingham post] for that) and the orange juice had been mixed to have a colour gradient that made me feel very classy. And I can tell you truthly; best orange juice I've ever had.


We found a table when the doors opened, and fortunately there were 12 seats at a table but only 11 in our friend group so we fit on it perfectly. Two bottles of water sat on our table waiting for us, which for some reason made us feel really grown up, and a waiter came around and took our order. I'm a vegetarian, so I asked for the vegetarian option and was given mushroom ravioli. Unfortunately, I'm a super fussy eater and I don't like mushrooms. My friends made me taste a little of it but it really wasn't to my liking and so my carnivorous friends finished it off for me, and told me they preferred it to their chicken, aubergines and mash. 

Dessert was a very exciting time for me (not to sound sad), I have a very large sweet tooth and when I found out we were getting sticky toffee pudding I jumped for joy! I ate my own, plus two other people's puddings and would've eaten more if more were available.



The food is always a major part of any occasion, so I was happy with what I got, and the rest of prom consisted of bad dancing, many MANY photos and taking a lift to the highest floor to spot the moss side ASDA near my college. I couldn't have asked for a better night.

I'm sorry this post has been brief, I'd go into more detail if I could but I find that I ramble enough as it is already!



                                          

Find me:
Twitter [x]
Youtube [x]

No comments:

Post a Comment